Cloud 9 (2008)

One of the most inappropriate questions I popped not too long ago:

Me: Do you dare to imagine your parents have done oral?
Random friend: It's not whether I dare or not, but they didn't coz it's haram in islam.

It's common for children to be in denial when talking about parents' bedroom activity. Our parents were young once, had desires and loved to try things. Nothing about sex is new. Just think about the wisdom and knowledge in Kama Sutra and certain versions of Arabian Nights, you'll see that people in the older days really knew what sexual pleasure is ---- so well that till now, no other sex manual can replace Kama Sutra. If ancient people can be adventurous and creative in sex, why can't our parents? My point is, I'm sure there are people who religiously follow rules during sex but I believe most people see them as advices, not rules written in stone. So, don't be afraid to imagine your parents acting wild in bed. It's normal, really.

Don't be. It's part of his life, part of himself.

I said what I said to prepare you for this movie, Cloud 9 (German: Wolke 9), a story of new love in old age.


Aku yg berdosa specifically assigned me to do the movie review for Cloud 9, but I'd do it even if she didn't make that assignment. I know she didn't like it as much as I did. Even now, I still get goosebumps when I watch the trailer.



This is the story of a 67 years old lady (Inge) whose peaceful and ordinary life changed when she fell in love with a 76 year old man (Karl) and rediscovered passion in life, after being comfortably married to her husband (Werner) for 30 years. The storyline sounds ordinary enough, but it's unusually shocking to watch when the characters of the story are elderly folks, instead of unrealistically pretty people like Brad & Angelina. Perhaps some would think that the only thing that stands out is the age factor, but I think it takes balls to make a movie about old people, and that itself makes this extraordinary. Better than all those hollywood chick flicks with lousy acting.


If you can't feel the rawness of the sex scenes from watching the trailer, watch the first 2 minutes of this video:



This is Inge having sex with the husband. It's so real that I took a few long deep breaths while I was watching it. Pretty intense for an old couple, but the caress at the end was so tender, intimate and loving. I don't know if I'll be blessed enough to have sex like that when I reach her age. Catch a glimpse of the affair from 5:30 onwards. Feels like it's puppy love for them all over again. Won't call it comel but certainly doesn't look disgusting or dirty to me.


Of course, when it comes to affairs and infidelity, there's bound to be a lot of confusion, pain, guilt, anger etc. Inge struggled and was tortured by her internal conflicts -- elated because of the new found love but extremely guilty towards the husband yang tak bersalah at all. The husband totally didn't expect this as he thought they share a fulfilling relationship and clearly he's done nothing wrong, except for appearing to be a little too dull. Who would expect a woman in her late 60s to stray from societal norm? Kesian the old man but I also feel for the makcik. Sometimes it's not easy for the person at fault too. There's no right or wrong in love, but it's just hard to not blame someone when love fails. Can't we just blame it on the overwhelming desire and passion?


This is not your regular steamy movie. Nothing beats an emotional and genuine film like this. You may or may not be turned on by the sex scenes (If you do get turned on though, I'll be interested to know about it). Although the sex and aged bodies can be a source of discomfort, it's not the main focus of the film. Put yourself in their shoes and feel their emotions, you'll then appreciate the beauty of the movie. Highly recommended for people who have a white heart like me. Download the movie here

the unrestrained,
aku yg tak insaf

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...